I like to WOD, I like to cook and eat, and I like to talk all sorts of whatever.
If you're looking for run WODs, foodstuffs, sparse "sciency" info
(typically r/t exercise and physiology) and random soap-boxing....
read on, bitches:

09 March 2011

Chicken Pad Thai ... with Spaghetti Squash!

Alright, so last night I decided to venture into using spaghetti squash. I was skeptical at first, but am really happy with how it turned out! Needless to say, it was an orgasm of YUM.


There are three components to this recipe: sauce, stirfry and spaghetti squash.

Sauce:

3 TB lime juice

3 TB soy sauce

3 TB fish sauce

2 TB rice vinegar

1 TB Honey
1 TB sesame oil

Red Pepper flakes, to desired spiciness

Stirfry:

1/2 medium onion

2 cloves garlic

Chicken, shrimp, beef, or pork

Veggies - anything you want to add! I added lots of green, red, yellow bell peppers, carrots etc., I feel like you could get creative in this department.

Saute the onions and garlic in a bit of oil for 1-2 minutes, then add your protein (I chose chicken) and stirfry until fully cooked. Toss in the veggies and cook until they start to soften. Add the sauce and simmer for a few minutes. Serve over your squash!

Spaghetti Squash:
Ok there are several methods to do this; however, being a college student, I picked the quickest and most convenient option (who doesn't like something quick and easy? Jk guys ;D), but if you google "preparing spaghetti squash" you'll find something that involves an oven and some more complicated techniques, which may yield you even better results.

1. Cut spaghetti squash in half, long ways (like how you'd cut an avocado).

2. Scrape out seeds

3. Wrap each half of the squash in saran wrap

4. Microwave each half for 6-8 minutes.

5. Take fork and scrape inside of squash into bowl (caution: it will be hot!)


This was super easy to make and tasted great. Also, I got this recipe from http://cavegirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com which has a lot of really tasty things I want to try.

P.S. I apologize that the picture I'm uploading falls quite short of artistic, or appealing to the eye (gotta love the ladle sticking out of the stirfry, keepin' it real). Hopefully next time it'll be a bit more pleasant!


23 comments:

  1. Oh! And if you guys want your spaghetti squash "noodles" really soft, here is a link on how to get achieve that. It takes a lot longer, but I'm sure it's even better :).

    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/529211-spaghetti-squash-help.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the idea. i'm going to try this. the paleo-police may get you for the soy sauce and rice vinegar, but that's just nitpicking. looks delicious.

    for the really hardcore among us (if there are any), i read that tamari soy sauce is more paleo than the regular stuff because it doesn't have wheat. also, if you wanted you could probably double up on the fish sauce, or do a combo of fish sauce and lemon/salt to make up for the lost acidity/saltiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...very true about the soy sauce and rice vinegar... I'm hoping Manni will let this slide though...

    Manni, how does this fit in the rules?

    ReplyDelete
  4. you guys are all so creative with all these recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. leah, internet consensus seems to be that the the soy sauce is more repugnant than the vinegar. vinegar appears acceptable in moderation (though lemon/lime juice is preferred). but i'd also like manni to weigh in -- i would prefer not to cut out vinegar if at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys, try this in place of soy sauce: http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html
    I want to get some for myself, too. Apparently, they sell it at the Whole Foods down the street from the gym. I haven't had a chance to go this week, so if someone else pops in, give it a shot and let the rest of us know how it compares to the real stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great call Liz. Use the above mentioned in place of regular soy sauce. There is nothing wrong with having a bit of vinegar every now and then, but try other vinegars in place of rice (although, you won't get much more than a glare and a wag of my finger if you don't).

    Leah: The recipe looks promising I will probably give it a try within the next couple of days.

    Brad: Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more thing Squirt, and everybody else, try to stay away from the CORN.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THE BLACK LION HAS SPOKEN! Haha Rog' Manni :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. damn. can i get off the wall of shame? it was only two tiny bites of the sample!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, pumpkin, you want to get off the wall of shame?

    NOPE. You know you did it. An infraction is still an infraction regardless of the size.
    "I'm sorry judge, it was just one stabbing, can I be acquited... please?"


    Like I said, if you leave the guidelines, try to keep it Paleo!
    Does anyone else need to confess? Alright, don't let me find out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. someone set me up and left a bunch of cookies in my fridge last night. i held out until this morning when i ate one sugar cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL Brad! I love how you admit it once Manni asks if anyone needs to confess!

    ReplyDelete
  14. well it was interesting timing because i read manni's post right after finishing the cookie, so i felt like i was caught red handed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great find Liz! I'm going to pick some up this weekend. Perhaps try it for an easy stir-fry meal w/ginger & sesame seeds?

    As far as the contest- I admit I've had a very limited amount of fruit this week...to curve emotional eating cravings like chocolate and my dependency on juice! Still Paleo though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to say that I still have not touched that cake in my fridge, which amazes me (would've thrown it out, but my roommate is working on it).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had a final this morning and my teacher brought in a tray of enormous grapes, oranges, pineapple, strawberries etc....and I cried silently inside. As soon as I saw it, I immediately hid in the back of the room ... I can't wait to eat my fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mike, I think you should go on the wall of shame for having Duke as your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like Sumi is taking out some frustration.

    Mike, you should throw it out and tell your roommate to thank you for caring about his/her health.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay so looking through The Paleo Solution, I saw sweet potato hash, which looks rather tasty. I also have seen sweet potato's listed on some Paleo recipe web page.

    However, they are listed as a food to avoid. What's the consensus on this?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sumi, you're right. How is this one?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! Haha, much better. Mike just remember my TarHeel blood has now forever immortalized your icon.

    Rebecca - I believe sweet potatoes are paleo, but Manni was warning us about over-indulging on them since they still do have starch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah!
    You can have S.Potatoes, but don't go crazy on them. For instance, in my sample week, I only had it written for on one day.

    -M

    ReplyDelete