I like to WOD, I like to cook and eat, and I like to talk all sorts of whatever.
If you're looking for run WODs, foodstuffs, sparse "sciency" info
(typically r/t exercise and physiology) and random soap-boxing....
read on, bitches:

07 January 2012

Go BALListic

Get excited people. Like really, really excited. I have some treats for youuuu! Behold my awesome, delicious protein balls! Quick to make, endless flavor combinations, and great for a snack. I've been making these balls for the past couple of months now, and they are GOOD. Here are 2 recipes to get you started (starting with my favorite).

Banana Nut Balls:
-5 dates
-1 cup banana chips (TJ's has the best in my opinion)
-1 scoop cake batter protein powder (Muscle Milk)
-1 cup almonds/wanuts*
-2 tbsp coconut oil (melt by microwaving it for 10-15 sec)
-1/4 cup raisins (optional)
-3 tbsp agave-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-sprinkle of nutmeg
-1/4 tsp vanilla extract

*If nuts are unsalted, then add some salt.

Add dates, protein powder, banana chips, and nuts to a food processor. Pulse until everything gets broken down. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until mixture comes together. If the mixture is too dry, then add more agave or oil to help it stick. Form into small balls and snack away. These can be stored at room temp, in the fridge, or freezer. Personally, I like them straight out of the freezer.

























Consistency of the mixture you're looking for: Store in plastic container

I realize these aren't the prettiest pictures, and it's very....beige. But I promise they taste like little nuggets of heaven. That is not at all an exaggeration :)


Carrot Cake Balls:
-1 cup carrots
-1 scoop cake batter protein powder (Muscle Milk)
-1/3 cup raisins
-3/4 cup walnuts/almonds*
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-sprinkle of nutmeg
-1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
-1 tsp agave (optional)
-1 tsp maple syrup (optional)

Follow the same steps as above, or do what I do. Put all ingredients into a blender that is the beast of all blenders, aka a Blendtec. Pulse until mixture comes together. Form into balls and enjoy! Refrigerate or freeze these because the carrot makes these more susceptible to spoiling.

Meet Alfred, my Blendtec

Alfred doing a job well done. Note that this was after just 4 pulses.

These are just 2 recipes, but realize that you can make anything you can think up. Other ideas are chocolate-pb (or almond butter), blueberry-almond-vanilla, pistachio-blueberry, chocolate-coconut, strawberry-mango. Be creative. Have fun!

I'd be happy to post up recipes for other flavors (chocolate, blueberry, strawberry bases), so feel free to give me a shout. Let me know if any of you tries making these. I'd love to see how it goes for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment